From twinkling lights to merry music, the holiday season is in full swing. Following Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday deals, Giving Tuesday is a day to encourage small acts of generosity that can make a big difference to others.
Giving Tuesday Origins
Created in 2012 by New York City’s Belfer Center for Innovation & Social Impact at the 92nd Street Y, Giving Tuesday, also written as #GivingTuesday, is a global philanthropic movement. Taking place on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving, it harnesses the potential of social media and the generosity of people around the world to bring about change to their communities. Its purpose is to provide a platform to encourage the donation of time, resources, and talents to address local challenges. By connecting the power of nonprofits, civic organizations, and businesses with families and individuals, small acts of kindness are easily amplified.
How You Can Make a Difference
Whether you donate money to charity or volunteer in your community, every act is meaningful. Even the smallest gesture could make a difference to somebody’s Christmas, making Giving Tuesday a great opportunity to join the thousands of charities and companies and millions of people who are doing good in the world.
Want to be part of the movement? There are countless ways to give back. Below are a few inspirational ideas to kick-start your Giving Tuesday.
Ideas to Get Involved
- Give Time: People volunteer their time for many reasons. For some, it offers the chance to give back to their community. For others, it provides the opportunity to develop new skills. Search for nonprofits in your area and email them to see which volunteer openings are available.
- Give Money: One way to give back is to donate to a nonprofit that has positively impacted your life. Connecting with an organization that’s working on a cause that matters to you can change someone else’s life, too.
- Give Talent: Use your skills to assist a nonprofit with anything from legal help to marketing. Reach out to see how you can use your talents to support others.
- Give Your Voice: This can be as easy as signing an online petition or calling an elected official.
- Get Involved with Your Community: From cleaning up a local park to volunteering in your child’s school, make a commitment to give back to your community this year.
- Help a Neighbor: This can be as simple as giving up your seat on the train, holding open a door, or smiling at someone you don’t know. Small acts of kindness, no matter how effortless, can really go a long way.
Don’t forget to show how you’re giving back on #GivingTuesday! Help spread the movement by sharing on social media.